I have been informed that I don’t update enough which is kind of funny, given that I haven’t updated at ALL as of late.
Basically, it’s hard for me to really want to update when I’m living my normal workaday life. I know that this is the age of oversharing, but I’m not sure of how many ways I can describe making and then consuming the sandwiches I eat almost every day.
So here it is: A RUNDOWN OF WHAT KRISTA HAS BEEN DOING (aka KRISTA IS AN INCREDIBLY BORING HUMAN WHEN LEFT TO HER OWN DEVICES)!
- I work. A bit. Not enough, which is why I’m currently searching for either a second job (ew) or a job that pays me slightly more (eek).
- I write. A lot. Be it a sketch, a story from my childhood, a musing about whatever it is I’ve been reading/watching/thinking about, or a short story, I write it down. Whatever is floating around in my weird brain, I write it. Even if it’s not good. Maybe ESPECIALLY if it’s not good. This has resulted in my notebook looking like it might belong to an insane person. I also have a file called “IDEAS” on my laptop that puts my notebook to shame in the crazy department.
- I mainline television shows or, as I like to call it, “conduct research.” I haven’t really been watching anything of comedic substance (my show of choice for the past month has been something called Supernatural and please, save me some dignity and don’t look it up if you haven’t heard of it).
- I socialize with my friends, which includes going to strange karaoke bars in veteran’s halls and going to see Marilyn Manson cover bands.
- I call my parents and continue to be shocked by how they still don’t seem to think I’m a disappointment.
- I try to make budget outlines.
- I try to figure out if and when I can possibly go visit my lovely grandparents who, for some reason, also do not find me to be a disappointment.
- I continue to be INSANELY IMPRESSED with my sister’s new weird life of being some sort of jet-setting policrat who is still so self-effacing that she only seems to find the circumstances she’s in, and not her participation in them, impressive.
- I write some more.
- I play the guitar and worry that I’m not playing it enough.
- I write things that make me giggle.
- I go to class and hope that these things will also make them giggle.
- I budget some more.
And so on.
I’m starting to sort of eclipse the terror of sharing my writing - I still have a total anxiety attack every time, but it’s starting to be coupled with this weird sort of exhilaration. I get really excited to see what will make other people laugh too. I write sketches with rap songs about women’s health care or with weird 1800’s time travelers. I write parody songs which are probably terrible.
My dad really wants me to post pieces that I’ve written. I’m sort of loathe to do so, from both a perfectionist standpoint and also because I want to protect my intellectual property - but I decided I’d post a section from something I wrote about a baptism gone wrong:
Aaaaaand that’s all I’m willing to post. Hopefully I have not offended anyone. Again: COMEDY!
This weekend, my good friends Melissa and Nathan came to visit me! It was great having some familiar faces around, especially two that belong to some people I truly adore. They got me to go downtown (FOR THE FIRST TIME! GASP!) and I had awesome deep dish pizza and an actual Chicago-style hotdog.
My sister is also going to make it here in the next month (I’ve basically been telling everyone she’s coming to the point where I think I might be irritating strangers) and I could not be more excited.
This post has been disjointed, so here are some photos:
Obligatory Bean photos!
It’s a sloth!
And a Fennec Fox!
Smitty being awesome!
And, in conclusion, the most recent gift from the clowns:
Enjoy your nightmares.